Serving is an integral part of the Christian journey, but sometimes we get stalled by not knowing how to proceed. We may know the opportunities to serve within our church, but what about outside the church? Vale wants to help you Serve Sacrificially, being the hands and feet of Jesus, by connecting you to various opportunities in the community where you can serve.
“We are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” -Ephesians 2:10
Home Sweet Home Ministries
Home Sweet Home Ministries has been serving the homeless and hungry with Christ's love in Bloomington, Illinois since 1917. We provide case management and other supportive services to the homeless such as shelter, hot meals, access to clothing and toiletries, and job training. Our goal is to help people find independence, restore their hope and share the love of Jesus Christ with them.
- Game Night: groups schedule, then plan the event high interaction with residents.
- Special Events/seasonal opportunities: food box packing and distribution for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- One-time Projects: maintenance and upgrade work at the shelter.
- Rapid Relocation: team is on call to help with moving, set up new home, etc.
- Bridge of Hope: year-long commitment to interact and support a family as they transition from homelessness into the community.
The Forgotten Initiative
Supporting the foster care community through awareness, encouragement, and advocacy.
- First Responder Crew: responds to help with needs to receive a foster child into the home.
- Journey Bags: collect items and pack bags for kids leaving homes quickly for a new location.
- Special Events: fundraisers, special food distribution, holiday support, parents’ night out, etc.
Catalyst Ministries is a national Christian organization that provides a residential, restorative program, reaching women who are survivors of human trafficking and exploitation.
- Communications & Events Team: This team includes writers, speakers, content creators, event planning, and fundraising coordinators.
- Office Support Team: Admin, cleaning, maintenance, bakers (for events), and volunteer care
- Property Team: Clothing donation inventory and management, workdays, lawn and garden care, maintenance
- Resident Care Team: This team includes drivers, life skill instructors, mentors, group facilitators, RA
- Prayer Team: We have monthly prayer gatherings at each location. We believe prayer is our strategy!
Habitat For Humanity
Seeking to put God's love into action, Habitat for Humanity brings people together to build homes, communities and hope.
- Building site construction work
- ReStore Volunteers
- Women Build: women coming together to build a home alongside a deserving family.
- Refreshment Delivery
- Professional Service
- “A Brush with Kindness”-exterior work on community homes
- At the restore, volunteer tasks can include cleaning and pricing items, greeting customers, or working at the register. We also love when you share your special skills in design, marketing, IT, sales, maintenance, etc. No minimum time commitment is required to become a volunteer.
The Salvation Army Bloomington
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
- Prepare and serve dinner to clients of shelter.
- Assist with afterschool program through mentoring, homework help, and activities.
- Service projects from landscaping to interior upkeep.
- Host a drive for shelter supplies.
- Food pantry, which includes signing clients in, helping them shop, bagging the groceries and clean up.
- Seasonal/Holiday help such as bell ringing, toy sorting and distribution, & coat drive distribution.
Midwest Food Bank
As a faith-based organization, it is the mission of Midwest Food Bank to share the love of Christ by alleviating hunger and malnutrition locally and throughout the world and providing disaster relief; all without discrimination. Our vision is to provide industry-leading food relief to those in need while feeding them spiritually.
**For liability reasons, children must be at least 10 years old to volunteer at Midwest Food Bank with a group. Children ages 5-9 may volunteer with a parent who is also volunteering.
- Repackaging bulk food
- Labeling cans
- Building family food boxes
Abundant Life in Christ
We are a church in the heart of downtown Bloomington that ministers to people in the margins on a daily basis by meeting both physical and spiritual needs. We want to see people delivered through the power of the Holy Spirit and have permanent life change and victory over addictions, life trials and darkness. We welcome the homeless, the prisoner and the substance abuser – all who are outcast. We bring them into our family, the body of Christ, providing an opportunity to serve, be discipled, and grow in their faith.
**Groups of 8 or less work best
- Providing and serving a noon meal (they serve a meal Sunday through Friday and are especially in need for volunteers on Sundays). Groups do not have to provide the food, they can help with set-up, serving, etc.
- Organize food pantry and serve clients during open hours.
- Prayer station/interact with clients at meal time.
- Lead or participate in Bible study with clients.
- Lead a Sunday Service (10am). They have praise and worship team but you are welcome to do that too.
- Assist with thrift store.
Boys and Girls Club of Bloomington-Normal
A youth organization that empowers all young people, especially those who need us most to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens. that provides both summer and after-school programming and activities to those who need us most.
- Impact Volunteer: create meaningful connections with the kids by sharing their expertise by planning and implementing a four-week program focusing on our pillars: Education & STEM, Healthy Lifestyles, Good Character, Citizenship & Service Learning, Teen Service & Career Exploration, Arts & Culture.
- Support Volunteer: work to assist in our important educational programming, helping BGCBN achieve its mission to empower all youth. You can find them engaging with members in Power Hour, our homework help and tutoring program, Social Recreation or contributing their time and talents to behind-the-scenes administrative areas.
- Done-In-A-Day Volunteer: This opportunity allows you, as an individual or as part of a group to come into the Club and share details from your professional careers, provide a hands-on activity/experience, facilitate a program for the parents and families, and/or work to improve the environment both inside and out.
Pregnancy Resource Center
Committed to providing excellent care, compassionate support, and honest information to those facing pregnancy decisions through authentic relationships that display grace, honor life, and foster community.
- Volunteers to distribute diapers, wipes, and baby clothes to anyone in need the first Saturday of each month from 10 am to noon
- Prayer supporters for clients who are considering abortion
- Taking new moms meals.
- Donation of baby items for their store.
- Annual banquet and walk for life fundraisers.
- Occasional housekeeping or upkeep work around the center
- Individual opportunities that require training and typically a weekly commitment:
· HOPE mentors
· Client advocates
· Volunteer nurses
A non-profit charitable organization that has been providing love, friendship, and support for over 50 years to women facing unplanned pregnancies. Their focus is on loving the mother, reminding her that there is a hope and ensuring she is not alone.
Direct client services
- Serving on distribution day by giving out diapers, wipes, and baby clothes for those in need
- Host a baby shower in your group and provide a Birthright client with the gifts
McLean County Nursing Home
Our philosophy is to provide quality care in an atmosphere that allows both residents and their families to feel comfortable and welcomed during the resident’s stay. McLean County Nursing Home has a history of having a solid reputation in the community for providing consistent, quality care for those who live here. We intend to uphold that reputation by continuing to maintain and improve our standards of excellence.
Serving Opportunities (In-House)
- Share your musical talents
- Fill birdfeeders
- Help decorate for the Holidays
- Help dietary wit meals
- Walk outside with residents
- Visit 1-on-1 with residents
Serving Opportunities (Outside)
Travel with residents to off-site events: shopping, meals
- Escort residents to medical appointments